The ECOWAS Infrastructure List of Products Preparation and Development Unit (PIU) is a specific specialized agency as it is the first of its kind to be created by a Regional Economic Community (REC). Since the NEPAD’s establishment, the African Union’s Heads of State and Government instructed the different RECs to create agencies in charge of projects preparation. The PIU was then set up by the ECOWAS Council of Ministers in January 2005, Accra (Ghana).
Since then, the Unit is installed in Lomé, Togo.
Five (05) tunnels were selected as basis for preparation of projects:
- Enabling environment
- Project definition
- Project feasibility
- Project structuring
- Transactions support, legal and financial closure
All Acts of the unit, from the project definition until its closure, are done in consultation with the following stakeholders:
- The Steering Committee
- ECOWAS Member States
- Regional and sub-regional organizations
- Donors, and
- Private sector
The definition and selection of projects rely on existing instruments as follows:
- The Regional Infrastructure Development Programme in West Africa adopted in June 2013 for a portfolio of 107 billion USD;
- The Programme for Infrastructure Development in Africa (PIDA);
- Existing or ongoing sectoral master plans within ECOWAS and sub-regional organizations;
- The PIU Strategic Business Plan
Member States, intergovernmental organizations (IGOs), donors, and ECOWAS departments (Transport, Energy, ICT, water) are hereby invited to trust and support us in our praiseworthy work. This collaboration is a must to reach regional integration in accordance with the ECOWAS 2020 vision.