The PIU shall:
- Identify, select and prioritize regional integration infrastructure projects in consultation with the ECOWAS Commission, Member States and the private sector;
- Mobilise the resources required for preparation and development of infrastructure projects;
- Undertake the studies and activities required for preparation and development of infrastructure projects with a view to making the projects bankable;
- Create a more attractive climate for regional infrastructure projects financing and investment;
- Manage the Infrastructure Funds, and all the other Funds placed at its disposal;
- Serve as regional focal point for capacity-building of similar structures in ECOWAS Member States;
- Negotiate and conclude cooperation and/or partnership agreements with regional and sub-regional institutions in the area of infrastructure project preparation and development.
- Monitor and evaluate the implementation of projects it supports.